ADA Compliant Signs
The ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) is a civil rights law that prevents discrimination and ensures that all people shall enjoy full and equal enjoyment of public good, services, facilities or accommodations. This includes lodging, recreation, transportation, education, dining, stores, and care providers. All new construction after 1992 must be ADA compliant by federal law.
ADA compliant signs must meet the Code of Federal regulations for signage via the Department of Justice. These guidelines otherwise known as accessible design are as follows:
- Signage must include detectable warnings for doors, stairs, pools, etc. Any area where a safety hazard is or may be present.
- Character proportions of specified character width and height must be met for visibility.
- Raised, Brailled characters and pictorial symbols or signs (pictograms) must be available.
- Finish and contrast- non-glare background and characters as well as high dark to light contrast of background and characters.
- Mounting and height- must meet specifications within the code of federal regulations.
- Signage must include symbols of accessibility.
Baron Sign Manufacturing offers an interior sign division that designs and manufactures durable, attractive and effective ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) signage packages using maintenance-free materials. This type of signage is especially important for hospitals, schools, airports, and high-rise commercial and residential buildings. They meet all code of federal regulations and requirements from design and fabrication to installation to assist businesses in achieving ADA compliance.